Search engine optimization (SEO) copywriting to achieve high SERP ranking on Google and other search engines is really not that difficult as long as you follow some simple ranking rules about:
1. Keyword research what terms surfers are using to find the product or service.
2. Write appropriate content.
3. Link to and from the content via hyperlinks, images and video.
4. Give images alt (alternative) attributes.
Finding Keywords for Copywriting
It is a good idea to do keyword research before writing any content in order to know what people are searching for.
It is also good to do periodic keyword research to find new emerging keywords as a product matures in the market. At the beginning of a product life cycles potential customers make very basic searches like “Iphone 4”. As a product matures in the market we will look at new emerging keywords for writing up to date content such as “iphone 4 16gb or 32gb”.
Two free tools are available from Google
AdWords Keyword Suggestion Tool
The free AdWords suggestion keyword tool gives insight to just how profitable a
particular keyword may be as well as information about the number of advertisers within a given niche.
Although this information should be taken with a grain of salt, you can gauge the
profitability index quickly by simply looking at the following factors:
• How Often a Search Phrase is Used Monthly
• How Competitive the Term is in Google
Google Insight for Search
Another excellent search tool that is available from Google is the Google Insight for
Search Tool. What can be learned about various niches and target keyword phrases?
With this fantastic free tool is based on search volume and trends.
Why is Google Insight for Search helpful?
You may, at times, run into a target keyword phrase that used to be quite popular but
the traffic associated with it has now begun to die down. Alternatively you may want to see the difference in searches of two keywords to try and forecast which will be more popular.
Copywriting Best Practice
Below is by no means a full list of best practice used by SEO copywriters but inclusion of some of these factors will help to get your article/blog rank well and thereby able to pass good link & traffic to the main site. When writing content we should try to follow some of these simple guidelines:
- Original content: Use content that is not found elsewhere online. It is thought that Google ignores duplicate content when ranking. If you are basing article on content from elsewhere then make sure to change phrases and paragraphs.
- Page Title: Use the exact target keyword phrase in the document’s title. The most important of on-page keyword elements, the page title should preferably employ the keyword term/phrase as the first word(s).
- Keywords Spread: Good practice is to include the phrase towards the top of the document and then regularly through the document and again towards the end of the document with possible hyperlinks of where to go for more information.
- Number of Keywords: Aim for no more than 1-3 keywords per article blog post.
- Keyword Repetition: Repeat keywords about three times every 100 words- i.e. keyword density 3% and try to make use of synonyms.
- You can use this link for keyword density analysis: http://www.live-keyword-analysis.com/ .
- Keyword Variation: employing at least one or two variations of a term and potentially splitting up keyword phrases
- Document Length: Try to write 350-500 words on a single ranking subject (keyword).
- Bold Highlight importanat words: Try to highlight some (bold) important words helps with readability and as well as being an SEO ranking factor in a paragraph.
- Page Headers: Break long articles into headers (H1, H2, and H3) with section keywords if possible.
- Link to Main product/service page: Use keywords to link to main site in order to pass link value.
- Link out to Authority sites: Link some important words to authority sites/pages ranking high in Google but not using the main keywords as this will leak link juice and definitely not competing sites. An example would be linking to a product manufacturer’s site explaining the technology.
- Link Internally: Also try to link internally within blog or site with related topics in order to boost value of blog/site.
If using images then it is good to follow some basic SEO copywriting guidelines such as:
- Use alt tag with the exact keyword.
- Link to either product/service page or use no link.
Google and other search engines love video as do readers who want a quick demonstration of what you are writing about. Try to add a YouTube video if available and make sure it is not linking to a competitor site but a product manufacturer or review type of site.
Don’t Procrastinate- Just Write!
Lastly- do not let these guidelines give you a writer’s block. Any content is better than not writing at all. If stuck then just write naturally and and make SEO copywriting amendments later.
A perfect optimized page can be represented by below image from seomoz.